Friday, November 21, 2008

Yay for Baby Emilia!

Ahhh, it's such a relief to *finally* know what we're having and I can't stop smiling! I know there is still a risk that the ultrasound was wrong (it's harder to tell with a girl than a boy), but for now I'm just so wonderfully excited about having a baby girl.

I actually almost cried when we were told it was a girl. Not only because girl clothes are so cute, but a lot more because I can finally fulfill my dream of honoring my Grandma Hilda. It's still hard for me to talk about her or think about her without welling up (one of the very few things that has this effect on me..), but even as I type this, I'm holding back tears. She was my absolute most favorite person ever. Our bond was so strong, starting with me being her namesake, but it was so much more than that. She was the most caring and loving woman I've ever known. She was so proud of all of her grandchildren and wanted us all to be proud of our Cuban heritage. She used to send me books and postcards and anything else she could find about Cuba. Growing up, she was a strong constant in my life. My parents split up when I was 5, and even though she was my dad's mother, she didn't turn us away because of their divorce. We visited our dad every summer in Mississippi and every summer she would pay for us to fly down to Florida to visit her. She loved the beach, gardening and knitting/crocheting. She also loved shopping, every year we went home with a new wardrobe it seemed like.

She passed away a few years ago, before Jason and I got married. We used to call each other about every week or so, so she knew all about him. She told me that communication was the key to a successful relationship, and I agree with her. Unfortunately, they never got to meet. That makes me so sad because I know they would have loved each other. But, God has his own timing and I'm OK with that.

Even with Jason never meeting Grams, he knew how much she meant to me. So, when I told him I'd like to name our first daughter after her, there was no argument. Luckily, her middle name (Emilia) isn't as old-fashioned as her first name. So, this is why I'm even more excited about having a girl than maybe someone else might be. I can't wait for my Emilia to come into this world, I know she will have the same warmth and beauty that my Grams had.

OK. Now that I've dried my face (definitely near bawling just now...) I've taken some pictures of the CUTE CUTE CUTE baby clothes I had in a tub in the basement. These are just a fraction of my glorious yard sale finds over the years. I've also included my most recent additions, thank you again Jaime. Your thoughtfulness is always appreciated- I know our little Emilia will look so precious in each outfit. (O:

Side note- I just have to say, I must have magical powers because almost everything I've purchased from yard sales over the years ended up being the right size in the right season! I could hardly believe it! (O:

Here we go... (O:



Emilia's First 4th of July Outfit! (O:


Thanks Jaime, this is adorable!


Jaime has added to my love for dots without even knowing how obsessed I am with them! (O:


You're right Jaime, she will be SO CUTE! Especially in this. (O:





I purchased this coat *hoping* I would have a baby that could wear it, and now I will!! (O:

I bought this one because I knew Jason would love it, and he does. (O:



These two are up for votes...could I girl-ify them or should I pack them away for a boy someday?

Don't know if you can see them, but this one has 2 80's electric guitars on it.

1 comment:

Jaime G. said...

you're a complete turd! you know i'm at work and that i cry and you still told me to read this!

i don't hitnk i've ever witnessed this type of emotion from you... it moved me.

an... oh my! so many cute things!!!!! so many! so cute! how fun!!!!!