Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Does Emilia have enough quilts?? (O:

Hello friends!

I know it's been over a week since I've posted anything (which, I want to say, I don't think it *that* bad...seeing as I used to go a lot longer between posts!) But, Jillian brought it to my attention that I suck at blogging. (That's Annie's paraphrase). (O: So, I'm going to remedy that right now.

I guess there has just been a lot of great stuff going on that I haven't had time to sit down and share it all! But, here I am, so let me fill you in on my latest exciting news. (I'll also post about all our lovely Christmases, but in a different post...too much for one!)

I have officially decided to sew my very own baby quilt! This is a big deal for me because I don't think I've sewn anything since I was in the 5th grade. My mom taught both Clare and I how to sew when we were young. Clare really took off with it and is awesome at anything she decides to try. (In fact, I was really trying to steal a baby blanket she has at her house last night, but didn't win that battle...yet.) I, on the other hand, always thought it was so cool how Mom and Clare could make anything they wanted/needed, but never really took the time to do it for myself. I don't always have the patience for all of it and because of that, never really got all that good at it.

But, last Saturday, after meeting Jason on his lunch break from work, I decided to check out the "Going Out of Business" sale at Jackman's. I should tell you that me walking into a cloth store is always overwhelming and it takes me a while to remember what I should be looking for. But, once I adjusted to the rows and rows of potential fabrics, I did just fine. I picked out 2 REALLY CUTE patterned fabrics that I'm super excited about. One is brown with pink paisley (?) design and the other is light pink with 2 different colors of pink polka dots. They go so well together and I can't wait! I also picked out a plain pink fabric that matches the other 2 perfectly.

I had to call Mom and ask how much I needed to do a 9 Patch quilt. She, so impressively, figured it all up in her head while driving home from Kentucky and told me how much I needed. I couldn't decide which fabric I wanted to use on the back, so I ended up getting extra of each. (Now, I've been told, I have enough for probably at least 2 quilts, maybe more!) So, I spent the rest of Saturday looking up different 9 Patch patterns, and I had "the one" all picked out. I made my own graph paper (this was tedious and made me a little cross-eyed) and started drawing out my design. I colored it in like Mom always does, and it looked so cool! I was so proud of myself that I packed up my fabrics and designs to take to my sister's apartment last night for our family Christmas.

Clare and Mom both agreed that I had done a great job picking out my farbrics and even liked the design I had drawn. BUT, in the corner of Clare's work area something pink and green caught my eye. It was this adorable baby quilt that I instantly fell in love with. That is when all my hard work and ideas went out the window because I knew I wanted my quilt to look like that one. So, I took pictures, had Clare and Mom measure it all out so I knew all the measurements and even started drawing it out on my *graph paper*. I also found out that this quilt pattern is a lot easier than the one I was planning to make, so that was an added bonus. I'm not good at explaining this stuff, so I'll post pictures later of what it looks like and of my fabrics, because I'm so excited. (O:

A side note to this blog (and the reason for the title)- Clare has been telling me that she is planning to make a baby quilt but doesn't know if I'll like the fabrics or the idea. So, I bugged her all night until she gave in and showed me the idea. I cannot wait for this one either! She found patterns to embroider all the old nursery rhymes, like Little Miss Muffet, Jack and Jill, etc. Each one will be its own square, on a nice tan colored fabric and the embroidery will be in pink. She also has a super cute pink paisley (?) fabric to coordinate, and then a green and a brown for borders. It's going to be so much fun, I can't wait!

I am going to continue to try and talk her out of the one that I found last night too, I keep telling her Emilia can never have enough quilts/blankets. Which, better be true, because this girl already has 1 that Aunt Mimi (Amy) crocheted for her and gave me as a Christmas gift. Then, she's getting one from me, at least one from Clare, and TWO from my mom. I know about one of them, Mom has shown me the pattern and it's so cool, I'm really excited. But, she's also got a surprise up her sleeve (sneaky little thing!)... She keeps telling me that I'm going to love it and Clare agrees. I love surprises, but I'm so bad about waiting for them. I keep asking about that one too, but Mom's a lot tougher to crack than Clare. So, I might just have to wait until my shower. Mom has high hopes of having at least the surprise one done by then. Everyone cross your fingers for me please! I can't take the suspense! (O:

So, what's the baby blanket count so far? 5-6 hand made with love quilts and blankets. Love it.

(Sorry, I just realized how long winded I am...)

2 comments:

Jaime G. said...

so, apparently i'm completely ignorant to the world of quilting. since when is graph paper part of sewing patches together? and 9 patch? it's all jibberish to me. but... one day... you, jillian and i (and whoever else wants to join) should have a crafting day.... and maybe someone could teach me something. ooooooohhhh! i could make something for jon... if i could find somethign manly enough. oh! someone teach me something cool!
and.... btw, (I can't believe i just used "btw") i don't think you're long winded at all... especially compared to me.

Jillian said...

Clare IS a genius of quilts. The one she made for Leland is so precious. If all of the quilts you're talking about turn out for Emilia, she will definitely how loved she is when she gets older. I just have one (that my parents kept) from when I was born that my grandmother made and I absolutely treasure it.
Oh, and don't worrry---you will be a genius of quilts as well! I foresee it. lol.