Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My comedy of errors!

For my birthday, I asked Jason to take me to a running store called Big River Running Company in St. Louis. He got a pair of running shoes there last year and really liked the store because they watch you walk and then, based on how you walk, they will show you which shoes will work best for you. Now, I'm no runner. But, I am looking to at least start walking more regularly to help shed these last 10 baby pounds (for starters) and then eventually *maybe* work up to running or light jogging (the J is silent). (O: So, that's what I decided I wanted for my birthday, a good pair of walking/running shoes.

The plan was that I would call Jason when I pulled in our driveway so he would come out and we could go without having to take Emilia in the house then back out, yadda yadda. So, I pull up, call Jason and ask him to bring a bottle with him. I jump out, go to the passenger seat so he can drive, leaving my keys in the ignition. Jason comes out with a mistakingly dirty bottle. I hop back out, take his keys and the dirty bottle into the house. I come back out with a clean bottle (just in case Emilia gets hungry and we're stuck in the All Star Game traffic) and place his keys in the coin tray for him.

We get over to the store and I'm so excited!! I decide to leave my purse in the car because I know Jason has the debit card to pay. We go inside and spend about 30 minutes for the whole process. I'm having a hard time deciding between a pair of New Balance that are blue and white, super comfy, super light and pretty cute or a pair of Mizuno's that are all PINK, pretty comfy, light, but my heel slides a little. I, of course, really WANTED the pink ones (I thought they were cuter, not just bc they were pink either!) but I knew the New Balance were the better choice. I'm very happy with my decision and Jason pays for my shoes.

We are walking back out to the van...I get there first and turn around to him to get the keys. He says 'You have the key, right?' I give him a look bc I'm sure he's joking. 'I'm serious Annie, I don't have my keys. I put yours in your purse.' 'I didn't bring my purse in, J. Where are your keys?' 'Still wherever you put them after locking the front door.' Yep! Both sets of keys are safely locked INSIDE THE VAN!!! We have never, ever done this and we both kinda start laughing. So, we go back into the store to ask for a phone book, which they don't have. But the nice man googled local locksmiths. Jason calls 2, both say they will call when someone is in route. (You call an 800 number and then I guess they forward it on...who knew the locksmith business was so high tech!)

So, we walk down the street a block to this cute little cafe, Murdoch Perk, and order some dinner. I had the most delicious chicken salad sandwich ever and topped it off with a yummy strawberry banana smootie. The locksmith called back about 30 minutes later that he was there. Jason goes down to meet him, I finish eating. I tell Jason there's plenty of cash in my wallet- we are figuring around 50-80 bucks for the service... I see Jason start walking back to me, so I figure everything's done. I walk out with Emilia to meet him and we start walking back. Can you believe this guy charged us 179DOLLARS!!!!! Holy toledo, I KNOW my jaw dropped when Jason told me that! I couldn't believe it cost THAT MUCH for this...and you know what this polite, Indian man said to us?? You guys should really keep a spare key. We told him we DO have an extra key, but they are BOTH inside the van. He says, No, you should have a spare hidden at home. So, I guess we paid the extra money for his professional opinion on the matter!!

So, that was our evening last night...I'm so happy with my new shoes and all we can do it laugh! (O:

2 comments:

Jaime G. said...

$179?!?!?!?! HOLY MOLEY!!!!! at least y'all were able to laugh about it... i think those shoes of yours may go down in history as the most expensive shoes you have ever purchased and ever will. (we should try to find a way to work out together every so often.. i mean, walk together... who am i kidding? i dont' work out.)

annie said...

Hey! (I know this is a late response...) We should definitely figure out how we could walk together every so often! I keep thinking about walking before small group, but that doesn't leave much time to eat anything (unless we eat while at group)...

Oh, and my shoes are AWESOME! I wore them to the zoo and carried Emilia in the Baby Bjorn all day with no problem! But, even so, they will most definitely be my most expensive shoes ever...I'll probably be buried in them!