Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Scarves...The New Black?

Yesterday I visited my sister's college to attend her Senior Chapel. It is exactly what it sounds like- each senior must organize, plan and execute a chapel service. It doesn't count for a grade, but it teaches them how to put together all the elements of a worship service. That isn't really what I was going to blog about this morning though...I want to talk scarves.

Yesterday, I was observing all these college students hustling and bustling, chatting and laughing, waiting for chapel to start...I couldn't help but notice all the scarves this kids were wearing. They were in all colors, lengths, etc. Did I miss a memo??

I knew there was somewhat of a scarf movement going on out there in the fashion world, but I didn't realize to what extent! And, apparently, these scarves don't even have to match one's outfit? Is it better if they don't match? I don't get it! I know this probably makes me sound like a fuddy dudd who knows nothing about current fashion trends, and that is exactly it. I am too plain to care about the newest, hottest style. I'm still wearing gap jeans and plain colored gap tees most of the time.

Also, it seems that these people leave their scarves on all. the. time. I am way too hot-natured for that...it would be like an everyday sauna for me to try and keep a scarf (of any sort) on once I have removed my coat upon entering a building. I could start sweating just thinking about it! (Gross, but true).

What's the magic? Do they cover up our unflattering body parts? (Can't say that wouldn't be welcomed!) Or is it just a college thing?

...I realize this post has nothing to do with anything, except helping me understand the scarf phenomenon I witnessed yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those who chose to wear scarves as often as their underwear. I just didn't realize how big of a deal scarves have become. Are you a scarf wearer? Can you fill me in?

3 comments:

Jaime G. said...

i *try* to wear them, but then I get uncomfortable in them, concerned if I am wearing it the *right* way or not.
i have worn a scarf all day long before when my pants were a bit too tight and I had some fat hanging over the front. it camoflagued (how the frig do you spell that) that trouble spot beautifully.
and only college kids can pull off the "i'm rocking my scarf that doesn't match at all" look.

Márcia said...

I loved this blog.Take a look in mine if you could understand. ( I'm brazilian).
Ok, bye :*

elise said...

i lOVE scarfs!
i really do.
the light ones, not the heaving chunky ones.
and yes, they are everywhere.... like anything else, it's a little more fun when not EVERY person you see is wearing them;O)
a little camoflauge, yes, is a plus!
and it doesn't have to match if it Coordinates or compliments, or pops.... basically you can do almost anything you want.
i like them because i like to hide, makes me more comfortable, and less blah when i have to wear the same old same old... plus i used them for nursing sometimes.