Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby update

Hi all! (And by all, I mean all 3 of you that read this blog...and right now Jill doesn't have internet access, so hi Jaime and Pam!)

I had my 28 week check-up last night and it went well. She said everything looks great- Emilia's heartrate is doing well, my belly is growing at the right pace, etc. She did comment about how I'm lucky not to have any stretch marks on my belly yet, and I assured her I'm making up for that everywhere else. (Who knew you'd get them on your hiney and thighs!? Not me...)

She did say that my iron count is low, which I already knew because I've always had low iron. That's why I can't give blood- I've tried at least 3 or 4 times over the years and I am always turned away.... But, anyway. She said when I had my initial blood work done, my iron count was an 11. The range you want to be within is 12-15. So, I was already a little low. She explained that as the pregnancy progresses, the iron count goes down some (she said something about it getting watered down??). Now I'm at 9... Then she told me that they expect you to go down about 2 more after childbirth, which would put me at a 7. She said "We start transfusions at 6..." Needless to say, I'm now to start taking an iron supplement daily. I'm not too excited about this because I hear it's a horse pill and it makes you nauseous. But, keeping Emilia safe and healthy is most important, so I will do it.

If you guys wouldn't mind keeping this in your prayers, I would appreciate it. The doctor didn't make it sound like it's anything to be worried about at this point, but that we just need to get some extra iron in me. It's just not something I ever knew to be worried about in the first place, so I want to make sure I do everything I can to prevent extra problems at birth.

On to something more exciting! We did another ultrasound (Thank you Lord for my wonderful doctor who is just as excited as I am!). Kelly is so great, as soon as I mentioned wanting to check one last time, she was halfway to the ultrasound room and I was still trying to grab all my things! (O: We had to poke and prode baby Emilia to get her to cooperate, but Kelly kept working at it. She finally got a good bum shot and showed me where a scrotum would be if there was one. She printed out the picture for me and pointed to the labia (sp?). So, YAY! It's a girl!! I'm not holding back anymore! (O: I will show some self restraint, but clearance racks are no longer off limits!! I may still keep the bigger clothes (3-6, 6-9, etc.) tagged and hold the receipts just to make sure, but woo hoo!! I'm no longer saying we "think" it's a girl. IT IS MY BABY GIRL EMILIA!! (O:

God is good all the time. (Not just because he gave me my Emilia, but because she's healthy and growing. Also for keeping me safe throughout this whole experience and even blessing us with this gift in the first place!)

2 comments:

Jaime G. said...

YIPPEE! EMILIA!
(Um, do you really need to shop more clearnace racks? The girl has oodles of clothes.)
Oh... adn the iron can make you constipated, so have fun with that! (Maybe the consitpation fromt he iron could offset the effects that mexican food now has on you and would in turn, make everything normal.
And I completely expect to see pictures of Emilia (I don't need to see her labia... I'm sure I'll change a dipaer and be blessed with that image later on.)
Love you! (EYEBROWS TODAY!!!!!!)

Pam said...

I am excited for you! Little girls are so much fun to dress up :) But I love my boys too! Im with Jaime on the Iron tablets, they can and probably will cause constipation. Drink extra water!, but the baby needs the iron as much as you do, it helps to develop its muscles and other important things! As for being watered down.. your blood volume goes up when your pregnant, so yeah, if your low on iron, it will water it down.. take care of you! Cant wait to see that baby, she will be beautiful! Your in my prayers, along with all these other mommies! Love you all.