Monday, January 19, 2009

Quilts Quilts Quilts!

This past Saturday I spent most of the day at my mom's house working on a baby quilt for my little Emilia. It was a really great day- Clare was there too. It's not very often that all the Saunders' girls are under one room at the same time...basically, we have very little in common and so don't spend that much time together. It's not that we don't all love each other, because of course we do. We just don't usually have any common interests, and therefore don't spend much time together. Saturday was a different story...

A little over a month ago, I stopped in a fabric store to just browse and ended up picking out 3 cute patterned materials and called my mom to find out how much I needed. I had decided to make my own baby quilt. So far, my mom had said she was making 2 and Clare is also making one. But, I decided I wanted my baby girl to have one from her momma. Also, it's one of my 101 in 1001 (which I've seriously neglected...)

Mom and Clare were so helpful and we got the whole thing done in one day! Mom helped me iron and cut out the material, but I did almost all of the sewing myself. Clare had to help us piece it together and figure out the measurements because the pattern I chose was because I had seen a completed one that Clare had done. It's a fairly simple pattern, but it looks so cool. Take a look!

These are the 3 fabrics I chose


And THIS is my finished quilt! (O:


Overall, I'm really thankful to have spent the day with my mom and sister. It was a good bonding day- something we don't get to do very often.

Oh, and here's a sneak peek at the first of the two quilts my mom is making...it's just the top of it, but I think it's really neat! I think this one will be great for play time, all the bright colors will be so fun!



Oh, and here's a picture of Clare working on the first of 8 embroidered nursery rhymes for the baby quilt she's making. I've been told Emilia can't play with it until she's old enough not to spit up all over it... I told her we'd just frame it and hang it on the wall. Actually though, her quilt probably won't get as much wear and tear. I told her I'm excited to use it to teach Emilia those old fun nursery rhymes like "Mary Had a Little Lamb", "Jack and Jill", etc. Fun fun (O:

5 comments:

Jaime G. said...

man! i LOVE your quilt! what a special thing for Emilia to have!

Jillian said...

I'm very proud of you!

Pam said...

too cute! She will see the love you put into it.. someday it will be a treasured keepsake for her.. wrap her up in her momma's love.. Sweet@!
Love ya

Danielle said...

10 points!
I don't understand how people can spend all the time it takes to make one quilt!
My grandma made me one with a rocking horse on it before I was born and it's still big enough for me to use.
I'm also going to sheepishly admit that I didn't realize that Clare was your sister until Jillian told me like a week ago... haha!
I met Clare in college about 5 years ago... Who knew?!

annie said...

Danielle, don't worry about not knowing Clare's my sister. You wouldn't believe how many people are completely shocked by it! (O:

Thank you friends for all your kind words, I'm glad you liked me quilt. (O: I'm so excited to bring Emilia home in it!