Monday, January 5, 2009

Bargains are a girl's best friend!

What an exciting night of bargain shopping I just had! I just have to share this excitement! (O:

Let me start by saying that it seems to be anything J and I have picked out as far as baby bedding, travel equipment (stroller, car seat, pack 'n' play, etc.) and furniture, have all gone to clearance in the past month and a half. This has caused us to scramble around to make sure we got all the things we had chosen.

It all started with the crib and changing table...J's parents decided to purchase these for us as our shower gift. So, Treasa told me that once the room was painted, we would go pick everything up. J got the room done back before the holidays. (I can't remember if I posted pics of how awesome it looks, so here are a couple quick shots):



So, once J was done with all his lovely painting of *dots* (O: Treasa and I made plans to go pick up the crib and changing table. One day, a few days before we were supposed to go, I was checking online to see which stores had the pieces in stock. I became very worried when I realized that almost every store said "Out of Stock" online. So I started calling around and found out that the only crib left in IL was at the Shiloh store and the only changing table left in IL was at the new Belleville store. So, I called Treasa told her the story and she said to get them and she'd pay me back. Immediately after work, I raced to the Shiloh store to grab up the crib before small group. Then, directly after small group, I raced to the Belleville store to get the changing table. *Whew* a sigh of relief. (O:

A few weeks later, Jason and I had decided that since we had been so blessed with our parents taking care of many of our big purchases, that we wanted to go purchase our crib mattress and bedding. I KNOW I've told that story...it ends with me almost breaking down in a Target checkout lane... Either way, it was so exciting. I took the bedding home, washed it, ironed the bumper pad and blanket and put everything in the crib...(Pictures are pre-ironing...)



Then, just 2 weeks after purchasing our bedding, I was at Target again, oooing and aaahing over all the cute baby stuff when I noticed that our bedding had been marked down from $79.99 to $54.99! I grabbed the bedding and marched up to the returns desk, fully expecting a price adjustment. I was told that they do not make price adjustments on clearance items. So, thinking quick on my feet, I took the $55 bedding to a check out lane and purchase it. (Yes, I know, I already have this bedding...just wait!) (O: So, my mom and I left and drove across town to another Target where I returned the bedding I just purchased, but with my $80 receipt. At first, I felt like I was doing something wrong...but, really it's no different than packing up my bedding at home to return, so, I just was excited to be getting almost $30 back on the bedding!

The next thing J and I noticed is that the entire Graco Safari Sun line was being clearanced out...so, we started watching the prices. We got a steal on the stroller: Originally $99.99, we purchased it for $62.99! The Edwardsville store didn't have the car seat, but I said I'd keep an eye out for it.
Which leads me to tonight's wonderful tale! (I'm sorry for all this background nonsense, but it helps to the excitement of the night!)

I had called the Shiloh Target at lunch today to see if they had the car seat in stock, which they said they did not. So, after work, I decided to run into the Fairview Heights Target and check out if anything was on sale there...and it was!

First, the bedding was now marked down to $20! So, I did another switcheroo and don't feel bad about that either! I saved $60 on that bedding, and that is something to be proud of! (O:

Then, I found the pack 'n' play marked down from $109.99 to $75.99! Treasa's friend Goldie has told me that she'd like to purchase that for us, so if I wanted to get it, she would pay me back. So, I grabbed that up (and maybe hurt my back a little...whoops!)!

Next I ventured to the baby swing section only to find that our swing was marked down from $99.99 to $50.99!! Half off, I couldn't believe it! So, I called J and made sure he didn't mind if I purchased that too. He didn't mind, so I got it! (O: (I should mention that J is the one that picked this whole line out because "it matches our house", so I didn't think he'd raise any complaints about all my bargains!) (O:
Even though I couldn't find any of the car seats in the store, I decided to ask the nice young man in electronics if he could check and make sure they didn't have any in the back. They didn't have any there, but he said Shiloh had 3 in stock! (Those liars!) He called to make sure, and then I was on my way! I got to the store in Shiloh and had a little trouble finding the car seat, so I guess I forgive them for lying. (O:Now our collection is almost complete! The only thing left to purchase is the high chair. Which, in all my excitement, I forgot to check on. But, either way, we are super stoked to have all the pieces we wanted and at a fraction of the original prices! (O:

There's just something about a good deal that makes me happy. And when it's multiple good deals, I could do a jig I'm so excited! (O:

2 comments:

Pam said...

girl, you are the best bargain hunter ive seen in awhile! Congrats on the good luck! :) i want to go shopping with you!

Jaime G. said...

holy stink pile! that's amazing! but what in the world are people going to buy for your shower?!?!?!?! i sense a lot of gift cards coming your way.