Friday, January 9, 2009

"Contemporary Theology"

That's the name of the course I'm currently taking at our church's Cornerstone University. When I first signed up for this class, I thought it would be good because Ian's teaching it and he is always good. But, with each new course, I get more and more excited that I chose this "track". Especially with the course that just started last night.

This class is going to introduce us to many different points of view for some of the most divisive topics and also help us know what is truth. Each week we will discuss and dissect a new topic. I can't remember all of them (pregnesia rears its ugly head...) but we talked about Emerging churches VS Emergent churches and also had a group discussion about God's grace. I know next week is over Heaven and Hell, then after that I'm a complete blank. But, I remember being excited about all the topics.

It was during the group discussion last night that I started thinking...Anyone who knows me well knows that confrontation makes me very uncomfortable. My face will flush immediately, I start sweating and it's just awful. There is just something about being confronted, or even just having to speak in front of a group of people, that makes me want to pass out and not wake up until it's over. But, last night, as I sat there earnestly listening to everything Ian was saying, I realized that I want to start studying more about our theology. Even if I never want to have to be confronted, I want to know exactly what I believe and why.

I admire Ian so much for his knowledge and wisdom. He could have a debate with anyone at anytime and know exactly what to say. Like I said, I don't want to ever have to do that. But, I think if I spent time studying what I believe and why, it would help my walk with God. I think that just being able to stand firm on my beliefs would help me as I live my day to day life, which would be so great.

That's what I am most looking forward to about this class. The topics all have pretty controversial opinions surrounding them, which will be very interesting to learn about. And even though I didn't actually share during the group discussion, I always enjoy listening to what everyone else has to say. I really enjoy a handful of the people in this class because they are so very knowledgable and speak with such a passion and eloquence. I want to continue to learn from them and study for myself so anytime I'm part of a discussion I will at least know whose opinions are correct and who is a little off base.

Lord, please continue to warm my heart to all there is to know about you. I am excited to keep studying and learning so I can be a shining light for you everyday. Thank you for your love, grace and mercy.

3 comments:

Jaime G. said...

i love this post. and you did contribute last night, just not out loud over everyone else. but you and i had some discussion and it was good (it did help that you and i agreed on the topics).
anyway, i too am very excited about this class. i think we should have a contemporary theology part 2 for the next session.

Jaime G. said...

and HOW IN THE WORLD do you only have one commetn on here (well, 2 noe because of me)? some people!

Jillian said...

I love catching up on blogs!
This is lovely.
I'm still deciding if I should go to this track of classes because Owen has swing shift and will have to work every other week...(so he will be jealous of me getting to go to class when he doesn't)