Friday, February 13, 2009

Meeting Miss Cailyn

Last night I have the opportunity to take dinner over to the Brown's house. I picked up Little Casear's, feeling a little embarrassed that I couldn't bring them anything home cooked, but they both seemed very excited about getting pizza and cheesy bread for dinner. That made me feel better.

Holly showed me little Cailyn's room while Cory went to get her so I could ooo and aaa. The room is absolutely precious! It's a lamb theme with a soft green as the main color. Poor Holly was telling me, or should I say, WARNING me that it's not all giggles and smiles. She said it's more work than they had expected. Which was good to hear, I need to bring my head out of the clouds and start thinking realistically about how this is going to change our lives forever!

But, as soon as Cory brought up that precious little girl, my heart melted. She was sleeping, so I just held her the entire time we sat there talking. Cailyn still has that full head of hair; Holly says she thinks it's starting to lighten up, but she hasn't lost much hair yet. She made these sweet little noises every so often, which they told me meant she was happily sleeping. Funny story- they said she WILL NOT sleep in her crib. She only will sleep in one of her little vibrating/bouncer chairs or in her car seat! That made me laugh!

It was good to see Cory and Holly. They seem tired (which is to be expected), but are doing great. They really are such wonderful people, I always enjoy getting to talk with them. They genuinely care about what's going on in other people's lives. They spent more time asking questions about Jason and I than we did talking about their big new life change. I kept trying to ask about how it's been having Cailyn home and stuff like that, but the conversation always came back to Jason and I. I really like having them as friends. Not because they ask me questions about my life, but because they really listen to what people are telling them and truly want to follow up on those conversations. Like I said, they are genuinely interested in how the lives of their friends are going- even in the midst of their life getting turned upside down!

Going over there also made me start thinking about our little Emilia...she's coming very soon. I know Holly and Cory are completely worn down working out a schedule for feedings and figuring out what each different cry means, but I can't wait for my baby girl to get here! I know it's going to be so hard at first and I've got more than I realize left to learn about having a baby. But, I also trust fully in God- I know He will get us through. That doesn't mean I'm expecting a cake walk, but I know He has placed several awesome mothers in my life to help me along the way.

I'm so thankful for my mom and mother-in-law, they are both already beaming with pride and have both said they fully intend to come help us for a while when we first get home. I don't think I even know fully how to prepare myself for the shock that's about to hit this family, but it eases my mind to know I've got two of the best mothers to help me.

My blessings don't stop there either! I don't know what I would do without my mom friends! I know I ask Jaime at least 1 (what I consider) stupid question a day and she has never made me feel embarrased or inadequate as a parent for doing so. I doubt if she knows exactly how much I appreciate her friendship and support. I also hope she knows the questions aren't going to stop anytime soon, I'm sure! (I put that sentence in there because I know you're reading this, friend!) From time to time, I also ask Jodie and Jessca baby questions and defer to LeeAnn for anything somewhat medically related. They all are just as gracious in their answers and advice.

I should also say that I'm very thankful that I haven't received much (if any) advice that I wasn't grateful to receive. So far, I haven't had anyone just start spewing their beliefs and opinions of child rearing at me. I'm sure I'll get some of that, which I can't avoid. But I'll gracefully say thank you and then check with one of the many fabulous mothers (whose opinions and beliefs I trust and value) to make sure it's accurate info.

Thank you Lord for this most precious gift growing inside of me, kicking and punching all day. I cannot wait to meet our little baby girl and raise her knowing you and loving you. I also thank you for all the amazing women you've placed in my life to help me. I appreciate and love them more than they might know.

1 comment:

Jaime G. said...

if you keep being all emotion and nice and thankful and all that other jazz, i'm going to stop reading because i'm tired of you making me cry.
love you! i can't wait for miss emilia to get here. and i'm sure that they also told you that though it is a lot of work, it's nothing compared to all of the love and joy that you'll have. parenthood is AMAZING! indescribable really.