Sunday, March 15, 2009

I spoke too soon...

Yesterday I attended Leland's 2nd birthday party. It was comprised mostly of adults and about half of the women were pregnant! (Not shocking since Elise and Jillian were both there and then one of Aunt Julie's friends is also pregnant).

Anyway, our conversation eventually led to all things preggo. Part of our discussion was about stretch marks- who had them and where. I proudly stated that I didn't have any on the stomach yet, but that I did have them on my hips, boobs, butt and thighs (that part not so proudly).

I have gone so long without having any stretch marks on my stomach that I had started thinking of it as an accomplishment- like something I have done has kept them at bay... Well, they called my bluff! I just got out of the shower and was making my daily inspection of my belly in the mirror...and there they were! A tiny little cluster of of very pale stretch marks! I had to break out a hand held mirror to get close enough to actually discern what I was seeing, but it's true. As of right now it's one small cluster on the right under-side of my belly and I *think* another small cluster on the left under belly. But, I'm sure these were the scouts sent in to see how much room there was and if there was any resistance before calling in the rest of the troops. There's also a long mark that is either a self-inflicted scratch (which happens often), or it's the mother of all stretch marks making a grand entrance...the coming days should tell all.

I like a piece of flair I saw once concerning stretch marks. It says "Real Women Have Stretch Marks" (if I remember correctly). I'm not trying to say that women who don't have pregnancy-related stretch marks aren't real women...but, something about telling myself that this makes me a real woman helps me. Don't ask why. Also, it's weird to think, but absolutely true, that I already love my little Emilia Grace so much that I'm not even concerned about the physical state of my body. All of this is for her. I'm proud to be her momma and I'm so excited to meet her! (O:

1 comment:

Pam said...

Wear those stretch marks proudly! lol.. your too funny.. I hope you print out all your little preggo blogs and keep them, someday you will look back at them and laugh.. you write such cute stuff.. Im glad the time is getting short for you and Jason..cant wait to see that beautiful Emilia! Your awsum!and you are going to be a awsum mom!