Monday, March 2, 2009

I've been jinxed! (But what's in a name...)

This may appear as a somewhat synical blog post, but read until the end...I get to a happier place. (O:

I would like to take a moment and thank my dear, darling, wonderful friend, Jaime. Up until a few days ago I was blissfully unaware that anyone else had ever even heard of the name Emilia. I knew Amelia was gaining popularity, which was a little alarming. But, I held onto the fact that there were no other Emilia's to speak of.

Then, last Friday, my lovely friend sends me a link to babyname.com which had Amelia/Emilia listed as #11 for 2008! WHAT??? I almost lost it that day. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I literally almost cried because I was so upset over it. Here, we thought we had chosen a name that would be unique for our little girl and it has so much love and meaning behind it. Needless to say, it took some serious calming down on Friday because I was pretty upset about it. But, Jason just reassured me that it was fine, even if she had to be Emilia W. for the rest of her life.

But, that is not where this story ends...oh no! That would be just too simple!

I attended Christin's baby shower on Saturday morning. It was a wonderful brunch style shower, complete with cinnamon rolls, muffins and OJ. She had a great turn out and it was lots of fun. That is, until I heard some more disturbing news! LeeAnn told me their older sister, Laura is having another little girl...and GUESS, just GUESS what they are naming her...EMILIA!! Spelled the same and everything. And to add to that, LeeAnn also works with a girl that just had a daughter and named her Emilia! This is just too much! I had never heard of anyone with that name except my Grams and Aunt and now they are sprouting up everywhere!

I did learn that both Laura and the girl LeeAnn works with are naming them Emilia, but intending to call them by the nickname, Emmy. This provided me with a little comfort because that seems to be the trend. Anyone using the name Amelia/Emilia has a nickname already planned out to use where Jason and I will be calling our baby girl Emilia until she's old enough to tell us she wants to go by some nickname. We've talked about using Mia as a nick name at home, but at school, church or wherever, she will be called Emilia until she tells us otherwise.

So, that's my silver lining. At least all these other people aren't using the full name. I can't see why not, it's such a beautiful name (no bias whatsoever, haha). But, I'm also not going to question anyone! They can call her Fred for all I care! (That would be weird though).

Oh, and to add to my complete obsession over this- I've spent some time researching some baby name websites. This is something I did when we first found out we were having a girl. I wanted to find out where Emilia ranked in the baby name world. This was several months ago and back then Emilia was ranked in the mid-400's while Amelia was in the mid-100's. Neither was super common or popular, so I wasn't worried. When I re-checked both names after this new, and somewhat tragic, information was made known to me and both names have started creeping up. Amelia is now at 76 and Emilia is now at 372. It might not seem like much, but for only a few months to have passed, those are a little drastic of changes. Which means the names really are on the rise! The last survey available on the Social Security Administration website is from 2007, so it listing Emilia in the 400's doesn't matter to me.

All in all, I think the babyname.com website's information isn't the most reliable, considering no other websites have either spelling listed anywhere near as high. But, that doesn't change the fact that people are sprouting up all over using Emilia.

It will all be OK, even if she is Emilia W. her entire life. She's our Emilia W. (O:

2 comments:

Jaime G. said...

can i call her "W" instead of emilia? (people would probably kill me... or at least want to hurt me if i were to do that. stinking liberals.)
and it just goes to show that you have chosen a beautiful name for oyur little girl. (and i bet you're the only one who is naming their kid after sucha wonderful woman.... unless everyone else is naming their kid anfter Grams... which would be weird.)
glad i could be of assistance in giving you blogging material.

Jillian said...

Aw I'm sorry Annie!
I know the feeling of thinking you have an "individual name" even if that wasn't what you were originally going for (rather something sentimental.) I too knew that lots of people were using the name Emilia, probably because it's close to "Emily" and naming your child that is like flogging a dead horse these days.
After Rachel on friends named her baby Emma, it's either Emma or Emily. I think Emilia is a great name though, and even better because of what it means to you guys. the end.