Friday, November 20, 2009

Stiff Neck, Day 2

Ugh. Ugh ugh ugh. I am officially off schedule for running, thanks to a stinkin’ stiff neck! I was supposed to run yesterday morning, but first Emilia woke up around 2:20 and was up about 30 minutes…then my alarm went off at 4:05…and I couldn’t turn my neck to the right. So, I reset my alarm and went back to sleep for another hour. I was hoping I would be all better by this morning, and the signs were pointing to ‘yes’…my neck felt great last night and I got a good night’s sleep with no Emilia wake ups… But, when it was time to get up. Stiff Neck.

Now, I may have been able to ‘power through’ this morning and run it out…but there is just something about a stiff neck that affects my entire mood. (As if anyone actually enjoys a stiff neck). So, I didn’t run AGAIN. I am *hoping* that I can squeeze it in sometime this afternoon or evening, that way I’m not too terribly behind.

I got to thinking about it this morning and realized why I’m feeling like a slacker. All the weeks up until now were a challenge. Each week was harder than the last. Now that I’ve hit 25 minutes, I feel like I have accomplished something. So I think Satan is trying to trick me into thinking it would be OK to quit now…I’ve proven that I can do something I put my mind to- I’m running 25 minutes for crying out loud! But I don’t want to give up!! I want to keep going! After this 5k training is done, I want to continue running at least 3 miles a few times a week! Should I call this a hurdle I just have to get past? I’m not sure. But, as of right now, the stiff neck is winning…

2 comments:

Jaime G. said...

... freeeeeaaaakkkkyyyyyy....

i was thinking this morning how my running schedule hasn't worke dout at ALL! (i didn't run last night either... so i have tonight - sunday to try to get in 2 more 25 minute runns.) thinking thinking thinking. and then! it popped into my head... "SATAN!!! you pesky slimy little devil you! you've been helping this along. creating a crazy schedule and throwing up obstacles and taking away my precious sleep! and i fell for you tricks. i don't like you at ALL"

glad to see it isn't just me. but we've gotta keep this up. we've got a half marathon to run next spring (Go St Louis... no road trip needed (= )

Kristin said...

Girl, hang in there! You have done sooo well up until this point, and you have a fabulous attitude! I am so sorry that your neck has been giving you trouble lately, but sooner or later you will be back in the swing of things! I just know it! 25 minutes is an incredible accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself! Keep up the good work, girlie! I'm definitely impressed!!