Monday, November 30, 2009

4 days left…

Until my first official 5K race! Holy smokes!! I can’t believe only 9 short weeks ago I decided to start this training and here I am. I’m at the end! While I cannot yet run 3.1 miles, I am able to run 30 minutes straight at a decent pace. I am so proud of myself for sticking with this!

It has definitely been rough. A lot of mind games and a lot of wanting to give up. I still find it crazy that this actually worked. I was beginning to feel somewhat hopeless of ever getting into shape. But this really worked! While I still don’t LOVE running, I don’t hate it as much. I think of it more of a means to an end now, instead of sheer torture. If I want to continue to get healthy and drop this baby weight, I have to keep up with my running. 30 minutes at least 3 times a week? Definitely doable.

My friend Jaime and I did our first run together this past Sunday and even though we didn’t finish, we did great! We ran a 14:00 minute mile, a PR for both of us! That is something to be excited about! Also, we learned that we run at about the same pace, which will be good on race day.

I just learned by reading her running blog (@Jaime learns to run) that we have been thinking the same things about this training. The system is a little flawed. Actually, it just doesn’t take into account that some people won’t be able to run a 10-minute mile right away. So, by the end, you’re supposed to be able to run 3.1 miles in 30 minutes….that is just not the case for us. We aren’t up to that speed yet. But, I think as long as we kick booty on the first 30 minutes, everything else is just Whatever! We have been training to run 30 minutes, and I know we can at least do that! Anything after that, whether we can keep running or if we have to walk, that is all OK.

I just can’t wait to wear our matching hot pink running jackets! Haha (O:

2 comments:

Jaime G. said...

sorry about the FAIL yesterday.
but we can do this. i'm already mentally preparing myself for the run. we can do this. and we will keep on running. (and eventually, i'll start eating healthier so i can lose weight... but for now, i'm working on the running.)
oh... shin splints galore today. stupid things.
*thanks for blogging. i've missed you. and it's one of the only ways we really get to communicate these days.
**super sorry about emilia's little hand. poor baby girl. and it does make a mom feel horrible about it. completely understandable. you could have pulled a Mary though and just thought your kid was being clingy when she actually had a huge fever. i'll take the pinch in the door.

Kristin said...

Congratulations, girlie! That is a HUGE accomplishment! I remember when I ran my first 5k. You will be so proud of yourself by the time that it is all said and done with...and you should be - you've worked hard for it! Hang in there, girlie! You can do this!