Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Long nights

Poor Emilia is having a hard time and it's starting to wear us all down...

Starting this past Friday night, she's been waking up several times throughout the night screaming this high-pitched, ear-piercing, blood-curdling shriek. Our daycare provider put it best when she said it is like someone's trying to murder her. I've never heard her make this sound before and it's very, VERY unsettling.

Friday night through Monday night were the worst. It was about every 2-3 hours all. night. long. So, the first couple nights I just thought it was a growth spurt thing and she was extra hungry. So, I'd sleepwalk myself into her room and nurse her. She'd fall asleep and I would put her back in her crib. Sleep. Shriek. Repeat.

Well, come Tuesday morning I was starting to really look worse for the wear- blood-shot, droopy eyes, no pep in my step, etc. So, I was telling our daycare provider about it and she said Emilia had done the same thing during Monday's nap. She woke up during nap time screaming. But as soon as they picked her up, she was fine. That got me thinking that it wasn't just hunger.

I started thinking about how she would scream if she woke up laying flat out....like it might be an ear problem that was relieved, somewhat, when she was more upright. So, I took her to the doctor yesterday...nothing. The Dr. checked her lungs, ears, throat, everything...and E's perfectly fine. She doesn't have a temperature or anything. So, she told me to come back if she developed a fever or if it got worse.

So, last night Jason and I went to see 'Inglourious Basterds' (OK movie...VERY gorey) with our friend Jay. I was really worried about leaving Emilia with Grammy and Poppy. More for their sake, because I was sure Emilia would be cranky and uncomfortable. We got home around 11 and Treasa was still rocking Emilia in her room. She told me she ate around 10-10:30 and had just fallen asleep. Treasa (Grammy) said she tried a couple times to put her in her crib but Emilia would immediately wake up and start screaming again. So, Jason rocked her a while and I went to bed. (I knew it was going to be a long night and wanted to catch a few Zz's before she was hungry again...) I'm not sure when Jason put her down, but she didn't wake up again until 1:30ish. And it wasn't nearly as bad as it has been all week. She still cried, but not the mind-numbing shrieks from earlier this week. I went in there and got her out to nurse. When it was time to switch sides she started screaming that scream again, but calmed down once she started nursing again. After she started to fall asleep again, I pulled her off and was going to rock her. She started freaking out. But, she quickly calmed down, resting her head on my shoulder (how I miss those cuddles!!) I rocked her for about 15-20 minutes and she was OUT. I put her back in her crib, fully expecting to be woken up again very soon. Much to my surprise!! I didn't even hear her moving around until almost 4:30! And that was just kind of talking to herself (which is usually what she does when she wakes up). So, around 5:00, she started to sound like she was ready to have some attention and eat. I went in and was greeted with a smile. The screaming still occurs when we switch sides during nursing, but she seemed happier today.

I hope the doctor was right and there isn't anything wrong with her...but I think Jaime and my family might all be right that it's just stress. She's got a lot of changes in her little life right now and I'm sure it's a lot for a baby girl to handle. She's in a new house, new smells, extra people and no dots on her walls anymore. :-(

I hope today was a sign of moving towards adjustments to our new life. I'm just going to love on her as much as she needs until then. (I say with a yawn).

No comments: