Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Momma Bear rears her ugly head!

Well, it's official. I'm a Momma and I will defend my baby girl no matter what.

It's really not as bad as I'm making it seem, but last night I had my first 'Momma Bear protects Baby Bear' experience. I was a little surprised at how quickly I rose into action. Being a mom definitely changes a person, that's for sure!

We were at Jason's brother and sister-in-law's house for roast with Grammy and Poppy. The evening was winding down and Poppy was holding Emilia on the end of one of the couches. Jason was seated at the other end and Justin (brother) was in a chair next to Poppy. Jason started smacking his hand down on their leather sofa, making a loud slapping noise. Emilia would get a little startled and look around like 'WHO is disturbing me while I'm relaxing on Poppy?!' So, J does this a few times and then Justin decides to join in the action. (Up until now I wasn't actually paying attention to them, I just saw it unfolding from the corner of my eye...)

Justin rears back and SLAMS his hand down on the armrest, right next to Poppy and Emilia. It was really loud! So loud that it scared Emilia into a sobbing cry. Poppy jumped up with her and started trying to console her. I instantly shot Justin a look and said 'WHY did you do that!' Jason said 'I was doing it too'. I said 'I know, but he's right next to her. You can't be that loud...it's not like with Jax where the loud stuff sometimes makes him quiet and then he smiles. Loud stuff scares a 4 month old!!'

So, I go over and take Emilia from Poppy (he was about to hand her off to Grammy, but I wanted to calm my little girl's fears). She buries her face in my chest and is really, really upset. I start doing all the normal things to calm her down, and they begin to work. You know that pitiful sigh sound babies and kids make after a good, hard cry? She was doing that, my poor baby.

Now, I realize that Justin wasn't intending on scaring poor Emilia into this crying fit, so I did apologize for the mean look and harsh words. I then explained that being that loud with her probably wasn't the best idea- saying it loud enough that hopefully Jason and everyone else was listening too.

So, that's my story. I'm officially a Momma who is protective of her daughter. I know it's only going to get worse from here...I can't imagine the day someone hurts her feelings at school or the first time a boy breaks her heart. Please don't grow up too quickly little girl. But, I'll be ready for Momma Bear mode at a moments notice!

1 comment:

Jaime G. said...

you go girl! luckily i haven't had to get too ugly, but way to go keeping those boys in check!
man... i don't want our babies to grow up and get hurt or scared. this is going to kill us (figuratively, hopefully)