Thursday, September 10, 2009

Wearing blue in a sea of purple...

That's what happened to me on Tuesday and it doesn't seem like this week has gotten any better...


Tuesday is purple scrub day at work, and I showed up in Monday's ceil blue. I do that every time there's a holiday on a Monday...luckily I am in my cave in the back of the building all day, so no one really noticed (and it's not like I would have been in trouble, it just makes me feel stupid). Thankfully, after being off yesterday, I wore the correct color...ugh.

That's exactly how I've been feeling lately- just a little off.

I wouldn't have guessed it, but having Jason gone this past week has been really hard on me. Not that I didn't think I would miss him, of course I knew that! But, I guess I thought I would be able to handle everything by myself a little more easily. While I have GREAT in-laws that have been a huge help, it's just not the same without him here.


This might come off as a whiney post and I'm sorry in advance...but, I just need to get this off my chest and out of my head. I haven't really said anything to anyone about it because I know it's whining, but I don't want to keep bottling it up...so sorry.


Emilia isn't having the best week either. She hasn't slept through the night in WEEKS (except for the one night I blogged about when I used my freshly-worn tshirt, but it only happened once, sadly). She's waking up at least twice a night, usually somewhere between 12:30-1:30a.m. and then again between 3:30-4:30a.m. Sometimes she'll take her paci and roll back over. But, other times she cries this half-hearted whimper cry that makes me sad. When the paci won't work, I take her out and rock her back to sleep. I've been trying to just give her the paci and let her fall back asleep in hopes that she'll learn to sleep through the night...but, I've started losing my will power. Especially after Tuesday night's drama...

Tuesday night, 7:00 p.m., Emilia threw up- a LOT. She was fine when I picked her up from daycare, and she babbled and kicked the whole time we were in Walmart on our way home. But, as I took her from her Poppy to go upstairs and get a diaper change, the flood gates opened. I'm not kidding, it was like the exorcist- like turning on a fire hydrant! She has never done that before, so it kinda freaked me out. But, after it she just kinda smiled and resumed kicking. Poppy took her so I could go change my clothes (which were now covered in Emilia vomit). But as soon as she was handed off, she threw up again all over the stairs, just missing Poppy. So, I took her back while Poppy cleaned up the floors and we went upstairs. As soon as I laid her on her changing table and started to change her, she threw up AGAIN! 3rd time in less than 10 minutes! This is when it started to get scary.

We spent the next hour with Emilia throwing up every few minutes...and once there wasn't anything left, she would just wretch. Each time, her face turned bright red and she couldn't breathe. I knew when my mother-in-law looked worried that this wasn't 'normal'. So, I called the ped's exchange and left a message that was to be returned within 30-45 minutes. I didn't want to wait that long, so we called one of the ped's nurses who happens to be a family friend. She explained that it was probaby a stomach bug of some sort, since they are going around with cold and flu season, and as long as she wasn't dehydrated or running a fever, we should be OK.

Luckily, around 8:30 she stopped wretching. Her poor little body was so limp in my arms; she was completely exhausted. Her eyes were open, but she never lifted her head off my shoulder, never pressed her feet into my stomach to stand, never smiled or laughed. It was awful.

I knew I wasn't going to leave her in her crib all alone that night, in case she started throwing up again. So, we made a wall of pillows on the opposite side of my bed and let her sleep next to me, where Jason normally is. Every time she coughed, I woke up to check that she was OK. I slept the lightest I've probably ever slept that night- and I am usually a HARD sleeper. Besides being worried about her getting sick again, I was really concerned about her rolling off my bed. Now, I probably didn't need to be so concerned with this- we have a queen-size bed and I had pillows stacked and lining the edge of the bed. But still, I was worried.

Needless to say, neither of us slept well. So, we stayed home and cuddled yesterday. I wanted to make sure she was really OK. And she is. She is back to her usually cheery, loving self! We played and laughed all day, it was great. She went back to daycare today and I'm back at work....still missing sleep since Emilia's still enjoying her nightly wake-ups! But, I'm just so thankful she's feeling better!!

1 comment:

Jaime G. said...

OH FRIEND. I AM SORRY THAT YOU'RE HAVING A HECK OF A TIME. (ugh... caps lock and i'm too lazy to go fix it.)it's always super freaky when your little ones get sick. i still do all the time and i still stress when jax sleeps with me (or did while jon was deployed and now we have a 2 person wall). i hope things get better soon. and i hope that sweet girl starts sleeping a littel better for you. i know it's hard to sleep train, especially since you're at the in-laws and don't want a crying baby to disturb them. we'll chit chat about it on saturday if you want.