Thursday, October 29, 2009

Runner's Update (O:

This morning I finished Day 2 of Week 4 of the Couch to 5K Training!! Whoot!! I definitely did not enjoy myself at all. But then, I started thinking (while counting IN 2 3 4, OUT 2 3 4 in my head) that exercise shouldn't be enjoyable. If I am feeling good and am not struggling at least a little bit, that means I am not pusing myself. I understand that some people actually enjoy this sort of misery (I call it self torture), but I am not one of those people. I do it because I need to. If 3 years ago you had told me I would gain 45 pounds between being lazy and having a baby, I could have punched you in the throat. But, that is where I am and so, here I go! (I am secretly hoping that you all went temporarily blind and couldn't read the number of pounds I just typed out...I cannot believe I did that...can I borrow the memory blipper from Men In Black, please??)

I know I do my fair amount of complaining about this whole running deal, but I am honestly getting to be somewhat proud of my self discipline. J told me a long time ago that he would help me with this...but seeing as I decided to get up before work (which means 4:30ish a.m.) to work out, he has since decided that I can probably do this on my own...(side note- I am a little bummed out that he hasn't been more encouraging of my efforts. I almost crave being told that he is proud of me. But, don't be mad at him- his mind is completely preoccupied with his current job, which he hates, his desperate hopes of trying to find a new job and also trying to finish school in the next 2 months...so I know it's not that he doesn't care, he just is going going going all day until he crashes at night.) *ahem* back to what I was saying...every time I finish a run, I feel like I have made a little accomplishment (yes, I still yell out VICTORY every time!) (O: I realized this morning that I don't really have anything that I do just for 'me', except for this. I have so many talented friends and family members in my life, and I have always been a little jealous of them. They have hobbies or things they enjoy doing and at the end of a project, they can see real live results. Before I started this training, I didn't have anything like that in my life. I like that with each finished run, it can be marked of the training sheet and I am one step closer to my end goal. It might not seem like much to you, especially if you are a routine exerciser. But, for me, right now, this is important and I am glad to be pushing forward!

Oh, and I can add another name to the list of people running the Gingerbreak 5K with me! I was telling my coworker last week about my training (I tell people bc it helps keep me accountable, I don't want to fail and have to admit it!). Well, she came into my office yesterday with the registration card in her hand! She said a friend of hers is doing it and told her about it. She told me that she figured since I was doing it, she would do it too! I feel like it is a revolution around here! Not that I think it is because of me, but maybe my decision is helping to spur on other people's decisions! If wasn't afraid of being called a complete dork (and because I wouldn't want anyone to be able to find me in the crowd on race day) I would say we should all get team shirts! I am thinking hot pink (shocker).... Luckily for me, my friend Jaime wouldn't allow this... (O:

In related news...I gave my blog friend Sonja some encouragement this morning about exercise and eating right...I told her that we should both commit to eating better because if we did, I might actually do it. I explained how my friend Jaime and I started the C25K training at the same time and the biggest thing keeping us both going is that we don't want to be the first to quit...so I figured this philosophy could hold strong with eating right too. SOOO, basically I am hoping she doesn't take me up on that...otherwise I'll have to exercise AND eat right and that is just TOO MUCH!! (haha)

Everyone here seems to be pretty crab-ay this morning...so I hope you are having a better mornig than they are! It's almost the weekend, woo hoo!! (O:

3 comments:

Jaime G. said...

first... i never would have guessed you gaind that much weight my friend.

second... you are SO wrong! i would LOVE for us all to wear matching shirts!!! LOVE IT!!!!! and hot pink... for sure!!!!!!!

*i got super cranky last night.... then i realized it was b/c i didn't get home and do my run. it's weird... what's happening to us? (secretly, i love it!)

annie said...

For the record...I only have 25 pounds left to be back at my pre-preggo weight...but I gained 20 pounds in the first 2 years of marriage (awesome). So, I want to shed that too!

Suburban Princess said...

Well done! I cant imagine getting through 1 day of couch to 5k!