Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What's so wrong with the couch??

Why do we need to go from couch to 5K? Can't I just stay on my couch? Or under the covers in bed? Man, 4:47 a.m. came too early yesterday morning...aka Day 1 of Week 1 of C25K. But, I did it! Hopefully I can keep this up, I'm signing up for a 5k run in Belleville, called the Gingerbread 5K Run. It's December 5th- exactly 9 weeks from now. So, pretty much I can't screw up or I won't be ready. (no pressure, haha)

Week 1 isn't 'so bad' so far- 5 minute warm up, 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking, repeat for 20 minutes. And I think I may have accidentally cheated...I didn't have a watch on, so I was just looking at the time thing on my treadmill. I stopped when the timer got to 20 minutes, but I'm pretty certain I should have kept going until I reached 25 minutes, since the first 5 minutes were a walking warm up. I didn't realize it until half way through the day yesterday- I'm a cheater! I won't do it again, promise!

My dear, darling, trying-to-be-sweet husband told me this past weekend that the first 2 weeks are the easiest and I wouldn't even break a sweat during Week 1. Well, he is a liar! (haha) Not on purpose, of course, but it just wasn't true for me! I know he meant well, he was trying to be encouraging...but I definitely broke a sweat. This is coming from the girl that starts sweating just thinking about humidity or hot weather, so it's not really a shocker. Also, I could definitely tell it's been WAY too long since I've done any sort of exercise because I had all sorts of muscles that started to hurt a little while I ran...but I wasn't sore afterwards and I'm still doing OK today.

We'll see how I'm feeling after tomorrow!

Are any of you out there runners? Any advice you want to share with a newbie? Or even just encouragement to keep going! (O:

3 comments:

Sonja said...

I think you'll do great! Just try to find a pace and rhythm that you're comfortable with! Also; treadmill runing is completely different than outside running! (I personally despise the treadmill and will not get on it LOL!) so try doing a few runs outside as well since your race will be outside! I love the name of the 5k you chose!! Gingerbread is my favorite thing in the world!! :)

Also; you KNOW I'll encourage you & I'm an Annie fan!! :o) Just have fun with it and don't get discouraged!!

Jaime G. said...

hds are SO not the best encouragers. good intentions are always there but they never to seem to be very effective.
i almost cheated this morning! i got so excited when the treadmill said 20 mins and then i realized.... 5 more minutes! ugh.
keep it up girl...
maybe on weekends, we can meet somewhere for a short outdoor run walk sometimes, like Sonja suggested.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I think this is the first time I've commented on your blog! Probably because I never think of reading blogs even though I love reading them, I just never think about it! I'm excited for you with starting the c25k! I'm on my 8th week, so if I can do it, so can you! I said this on Jaime's blog, too, but you eventually forget about how much you hate running and start to think about other things! I love how this program is do-able and think it works well. My cousin (who is a crazy marathon girl) said the hardest part about running is putting your running shoes on...because that means you're actually going to get out the door and do it. So sometimes I try to tell myself that I've already done the hardest part just by getting out the door. I'd also encourage you to try to run out outside some, I haven't ran on a treadmill for this, but I think outside is probably a little easier. Can't wait to hear how it goes and to hopefully run with you guys in Dec! :)
-Margo